Alaska Drivers Education
Alaska drivers education is an essential first step to life long driving skills. Driving is one of the first major responsibilities in a teens life. Driver education assures a student understands basic traffic laws, rules of the road, basic motor vehicle operation, driver awareness and drug and alcohol effects on driving.
The Alaska driver education course is an interactive course that comes with three CD Roms for use on your home computer. Two of the CD Roms are for the teen student and one disk contains special information, including lesson plan print-outs for behind the wheel training, for the parent. The drivers ed course consists of ten sections that make up 32 hours of computer based instruction along with 14 hours of behind the wheel driver training. In addition, the Alaska drivers education course covers beneficial information about drug and alcohol abuse.
Use this Alaska learners permit practice test to evaluate your current driving knowledge.
Learner's Permit: Age 14
- An applicant for a learner's or instruction permit must be at least 14 years of age. If the applicant is under 18 years of age, they must have parental consent to obtain a permit.
- The applicant will be required to pass the written knowledge test, a vision test and pay a fee prior to being issued a learner's or instruction permit.
- The learner's permit is valid for two years from the date of issuance. Even if a driver has a learner's permit from another state, they must obtain an Alaska learner's permit before driving in Alaska .
- You must have held a valid instruction permit for a minimum of six (6) months before obtaining your provisional driver license. While practicing with your valid instruction permit, the adult with you must have been licensed for 1 year and must be 21 years of age or older.
- Your parent, legal guardian or employer must provide proof (driving log) that you have had at least forty (40) hours of driving experience. This must include at least ten (10) hours of driving in challenging circumstances such as inclement weather and nighttime driving.
- You must NOT have been convicted of a violation of a traffic law within the six months before you apply for your provisional driver license.
Provisional License -
- Once you obtain your provisional license, you must wait for at least six months in order to graduate to a regular driver license. If you are convicted of violating a traffic law or of violating AS 04.16.050 (c) (repeat minor consuming alcohol) while holding a provisional driver license, you must wait an additional six months before you would be eligible for a regular driver license
- You may NOT carry passengers under the age of 21, except siblings.
- You may NOT operate a motor vehicle between the hours of 1:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m.
Driver's License - Age 16
- An applicant for an original Alaska driver license must be at least 16 years of age and have held a valid driving permit for a minimum of 6 months.
- If an applicant is under 18 years of age, they must have parental consent to obtain a license
- An applicant is required to furnish two pieces of identification, one to prove date of birth and one to prove identity.
Alaska Driver Education
Alaska Driving course in Anderson, Saint George Island, Red Devil, Perryville, Togiak, Tuntutuliak, Kongiganak, Cooper Landing, Saint Michael, Wasilla, Central, Bettles, King Salmon, Anvik, Kobuk, Sitka, Chitina, Tetlin, Twin Hills, North Pole, Saint Marys, Chignik Lake, Dillingham, Kivalina, and Nenana, Alaska.
Alaska Drivers Ed in Mc Grath, Point Hope, Atka, Port Lions, Nightmute, Arctic Village, Nome, Fort Wainwright, Craig, Akutan, Fort Yukon, Kenai, Ruby, Akhiok, Clear, King Cove, Yakutat, Larsen Bay, Karluk, Eek, Goodnews Bay, False Pass, Douglas, Juneau, and White Mountain, Alaska.
Alaska Drivers education in Shageluk, Denali National Park, Moose Pass, Trapper Creek, Chicken, Chignik, Pilot Station, Chiniak, Coffman Cove, Hughes, Seldovia, Girdwood, Slana, Chignik Lagoon, Kiana, Gambell, Huslia, Tatitlek, Stevens Village, Koliganek, Nuiqsut, Pelican, Cold Bay, Eagle River, and Igiugig, Alaska.
Alaska Drivers permit in Circle, Holy Cross, Nikolaevsk, Adak, Rampart, Willow, Wrangell, New Stuyahok, Beaver, Tuluksak, Minto, Houston, Nunapitchuk, Stony River, Tyonek, Scammon Bay, Tenakee Springs, Chefornak, English Bay, Manokotak, Egegik, Chevak, Valdez, Salcha, and Talkeetna, Alaska.
Alaska Learn how to drive in Kalskag, Wainwright, Kasilof, Port Alsworth, Unalaska, Coldfoot, Delta Junction, Takotna, Nikishka, Selawik, Shaktoolik, Copper Center, Homer, Elfin Cove, Chugiak, Tanacross, Fairbanks, Pilot Point, Nelson Lagoon, Gustavus, Anaktuvuk Pass, Brevig Mission, Gakona, Grayling, and Aniak, Alaska.
Alaska Driver training in Northway, Atmautluak, Kaltag, Ouzinkie, Meyers Chuck, Sand Point, Alakanuk, Chuathbaluk, Petersburg, Unalakleet, Saint Paul Island, Elmendorf AFB, Clam Gulch, Noorvik, Golovin, Ekwok, Hooper Bay, Anchor Point, Hoonah, Mekoryuk, Glennallen, Auke Bay, Little Diomede, Manley Hot Springs, and Nondalton, Alaska.
Alaska Drivers license in Tok, Clarks Point, Kasigluk, Skagway, Hydaburg, Kaktovik, Stebbins, South Naknek, Lake Minchumina, Haines, Nulato, Napakiak, Kodiak, Nanwalek, Prudhoe Bay, Angoon, Iliamna, Napaskiak, Mentasta Lake, Chenega Bay, Gulkana, Meiers Lake, Sleetmute, Indian, and Kake, Alaska.
Alaska Driving school in Venetie, Seward, Bethel, Metlakatla, Port Heiden, Eagle, Dot Lake, Shungnak, Tanana, Palmer, Koyuk, Nikiski, Fort Richardson, Bettles Field, Nunam Iqua, Newtok, Anch, Tununak, Whittier, Emmonak, Mountain Village, Klawock, Teller, Halibut Cove, and Atqasuk, Alaska.
Alaska Teen drivers in Hyder, Allakaket, Diomede, Kokhonak, Anchorage, Kasaan, Elim, Port Graham, Ninilchik, Toksook Bay, Badger, Dutch Harbor, Fritz Creek, Savoonga, Deering, Koyukuk, Levelock, Soldotna, Kotzebue, Chalkyitsik, Marshall, Kipnuk, Naknek, Kotlik, and Noatak, Alaska.
Alaska Driving course in Platinum, Galena, Thorne Bay, Sterling, Kokhanok, Aleknagik, Quinhagak, Two Rivers, Old Harbor, Fort Greely, Sutton, Pedro Bay, Ambler, Shishmaref, Kwethluk, Crooked Creek, Cantwell, Ward Cove, Anaktuvuk, Hope, Ester, Akiak, Kwigillingok, Healy, and Big Lake, Alaska.
Alaska Driving course in Ketchikan, Buckland, Point Lay, Port Alexander, Edna Bay, Cordova, Skwentna, Russian Mission, Point Baker, Chickaloon, Meadow Lake, Border, Nikolai, Barrow, Wales, McGrath, Akiachak, Eielson AFB, Nikolski, Steese, and Lower Kalskag, Alaska.